Tuesday 26 January 2010

Ovipositor – Oakland Manor


Fuck me, the artwork on this thing is unsettling. The eyes follow you round the room, the mean gleam, cruelly reminiscent of a serial sex offender fixing on a victim. In truth, it’s hard work having the thing propped up in front of me as I type.

Pawing over their press release, as people in my position are expected to do, I note that they’re often compared to Sonic Youth, the inference being that this might be lazy writing. It’s not. There are similarities, especially with the classic Evol / Sister period, but that’s not the whole story. Pere Ubu are in the mix, and so is any number of post-punk noiseniks, but there’s enough going on here to give Ovipositor the benefit of the doubt. I like it.
(Arbeit Macht Dinge Records)
www.myspace.com/ovipositor
og

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.